New FFB Pledge signatories during European Business & Nature Summit
We will welcome new signatories to the Finance for Biodiversity Pledge during the High-Level Opening Plenary of the European Business & Nature Summit (EBNS) on 18 October, 10:30-11:30 am CEST in Brussels. Joining the Pledge for this round is still possible – the deadline for interested financial institutions to sign up is 30 September. Next to the celebration, this two-day virtual summit will host several interesting sessions on finance, risk, metrics, and biodiversity.
The European Business & Nature Summit (EBNS) is a high-level political and technical forum facilitating dialogue between business leaders and policymakers. It will take place on 18 and 19 October 2022. The event is initiated by the EU Business and Biodiversity Platform of the European Commission and organised in cooperation with partner organisations. It targets businesses, financial institutions, and representatives of the public sector, as well as academics and NGOs interested in business action for biodiversity.
The program consists of a mix of high-level plenary sessions and in-depth thematic parallel sessions with speakers from the FfB Foundation members. Various thematic sessions are of particular interest for the financial sector, such as:
- 18 October, 12:00-13:30 CEST – ‘SME financing for biodiversity’
- 18 October, 12:00-13:30 CEST – ‘Exploring the potential of new data technologies to address biodiversity risks of supply chains’
- 18 October, 14:30-16:00 CEST – ‘Committing finance for nature: Redirecting investments by setting targets and measuring progress’ co-organised by the Finance for Biodiversity Foundation
- 18 October, 14:30-16:00 CEST – ‘Finding a common language: Translating biodiversity targets into KPIs for business and finance’
Register here to join the European Business & Nature Summit (EBNS)
Florika Fink Hooijer, (Director-General, Directorate General for the Environment of the European Commission), and Dr Anne Larigauderie (Executive Secretary of the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services – IPBES) are among the confirmed speakers for the High-Level Opening Plenary.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
The Finance for Biodiversity Foundation will be represented by NWB Bank in the High-Level Opening Plenary
Lidwin van Velden, CEO of our member NWB Bank and President of the European Association of Public Banks will speak during the High-Level Opening Panel ‘Policy to accelerate the transition to nature positive’ on 18 October 10:30-11:30am CEST. On this occasion, she will welcome the new signatory financial institutions of the Finance for Biodiversity Pledge.
The Finance for Biodiversity Foundation is co-organising a thematic session on Target Setting
This session is called ‘Committing finance for nature: Redirecting investments by setting targets and measuring progress’ and will be held on October 18, 12:00 pm -13:30 pm CEST.
Many financial institutions recognise the critical role that financial intermediaries play in addressing the global biodiversity crisis and are taking action to address this. Efforts to set concrete targets to “reverse nature loss” or become “nature positive” are underway but various challenges remain to mainstream these practices across the market.
In this session, you will hear from leading financial institutions that are committing to nature, setting concrete targets and monitoring progress. NGO’s and scientists will join the debate sharing their perspective on ongoing initiatives and on the gaps that remain to be tackled to drive the sustainable finance transition.
- Roel Nozeman, Head of Team Biodiversity, ASN Bank, Programme Chair of the Partnership for Biodiversity Accounting Financials (PBAF)
- Emine Isciel, Head of Climate and Biodiversity at Storebrand Asset Management
- Sharon Brooks, Principal Business & Biodiversity Specialist at UNEP WCMC
- Anne-Marie Bor, Lead Finance and Biodiversity Community, EU B@B Platform; and Coordinator Finance for Biodiversity Foundation
- Anita de Horde, Advisor Finance and Biodiversity Community, EU B@B Platform; and Coordinator Finance for Biodiversity Foundation